20 April 2009

The Argumentative Ankur

I never liked cricket except the batting part, and in that too, I always believed in sixers and fours. I hated to run for 1s and 2s. I loved football but only being a goalkeeper because that amounted to least running and minimal efforts. Tormented by physical nature of almost all sports, I took argument as my favorite sport. I never knew that argument can be a sport until I saw and understood court cases in Hindi movies of 90’s. My grandpa became my sparring partner in my practice of ‘arguments’ when I was a teenager. As time flew, I became an astonishing arguer (yeah, I am being immodest). I started arguing on every trivial issue with anyone who came in contact with me. I enjoyed it like hell. Arguments became food for my mind.

But things are seemingly changing now. After losing friends (temporary) over arguments and breaking up with decent girls during arguments, I have realized that argument is the worst form of communication. Nothing can be won by winning an argument. Winning arguments satisfy my ego but it hurts other’s ego so deeply that it affects the relationship. I realized that after an argument is settled (it seldom settles), nothing is proved. The winner is happy for proving his point right and the loser is unhappy for not able to prove his point right. Now, don’t assume that after an argument, the loser has accepted the other point. He still thinks his own point to be right. An argument never aims at proving the right point right, but it aims at proving one’s own point right. Arguments seldom reveal the truth; they generally aim at creating a truth.

I am sick of wasting my energy over arguments. Now my condition is that if I am somehow stuck in an argument unintentionally, I shut myself up and pretend to accept the other point. Although I still struggle to hold my temptation for placing my point on the argument table, I’ll completely retire from this sport very soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment